I have talked about baking my own bread for awhile. I wanted to get a bread maker, but am now thinking that using loaf pans in the oven wouldn't be that difficult, at least not to start with.
The bread we get now is the Wheat Montana Multigrain. It's not bad, every ingredient is something I can pronounce AND picture, but still. I think I'd feel pretty good about making my own and you really can't beat the smell of fresh bread.
Of course, I would want to make whole grain which is apparently a little more difficult. I suppose I should have a few store-bought loaves on hand while I practice my technique.
Next week I will make my first batch. We grocery shop on Tuesdays, so I will get all the ingredients then and see what I can do. I hope it turns out well--I'm excited to try it. Maybe I'll even price bread makers at Costco. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oooh. I love to bake bread. For whole wheat bread, it's helpful to add either xanthan gum or vital wheat gluten to the dough to keep it chewy. Both are very fine powders. Bobs Red Mill brand sells both. Be very patient when kneading. You really need to wait until the dough feels elastic and very smooth. Check out this tutorial on YouTube. I find this technique to be easiest. It's very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUiwmpcQuC0
Post a Comment