Monday, March 20, 2006

Ultrasound

First, they made me drink 32 oz of water in 45 minutes and then I had to be done with that 45 minutes before my appointment. Let me just say, that is CRUEL to make a pregnant already peeing every two second woman hold 32 oz of water for over an hour. I thought I was going to pee myself before I even got to the hospital. I even wore a pad just in case. :) Hazen was at work, so he had to meet up with me, so I was stuck being miserable and having to pee by myself. I didn't mind though, as long as he got there in time. :) When I got in, the first thing I said was "How long until I can use the bathroom??" and the tech was so nice and said "I just need to measure your cervix, and you can go". Once she put the warm wand on my tummy, I about died. I was so near going, it was horrible. I was so sure I was going to pee all over the table. She looked and said "Wow, you are really full! You must have a small bladder! Go!" All I said was "Thank you!" and ran for the restroom. I tell you, that was the most relief I have ever felt in my life. Amazing. :) I got back on the table and she said "For future purposes, you have a small bladder--you don't have to drink so much". The funniest thing is my bladder was full AGAIN before the end of the appointment. She had the screen away from me for a long time, but she kept making comments about how good the heart looked and everything, and that there was a good heartbeat. Such a relief to know the little one was still alive. :) She finished with her stuff, and went to get Hazen from the waiting room (he wasn't allowed in the room with me for the first part, I don't know why). He came in and stood next to me, and we got to watch our baby on the screen. I had drunk some orange juice beforehand to see if I could get it moving. Apparently, the baby was jumping all over when only the tech could see the screen, but as soon as the screen turned to us, baby went to sleep. I guess I wore it out with the sugar. Oops. The policy on base is that they can't look or tell the gender, but right away, she asked if we wanted to know and if we were going to go off base to find out. Yeah! I couldn't possibly wait. :) She said how disappointed she was that she couldn't tell anymore--that that had been her favorite part of the job. I had a feeling she had "checked" while the screen was away from me, but I couldn't know for sure. She tried to look between the legs for us, but the bugger had the legs crossed! I was so disappointed! She wouldn't have been able to say anything if she had seen something, but it was still really nice of her to try. I spent a lot of time studying ultrasound pictures, and I had told Hazen what to look for as well (I later found out that he had spent the entire appointment looking for a "hamburger" or "turtle" and hadn't really heard anything the tech said). At one point she said "And there's his arm" when the rest of the time she had refered to baby as "it". I don't know if she was trying to give a clue or not, but it drove me nuts. I knew I couldn't look too much into that, but it was hard. I wanted to know so bad! The important thing, though, was that the baby was healthy. Such a relief. :)

No comments: