Ian was diagnosed with pneumonia yesterday. Obviously, this isn't a good thing. What is a good thing is that it's OKAY. I don't have to worry about who he's been exposed to while sick, I don't have to worry about what to do with him for the next few days while he gets better, I don't have to worry about someone not babying him the way I want him to be babied (babyed? Baby'd?) when he's sick, and I don't have to worry about making my boss angry that s/he has to cover me for a week while I'm out with a sick child. Yeah, my kiddo being sick isn't fun, but it really doesn't do much to change our lives. I'm still home with him, I'm still the one making sure his needs are met, and I'm the one who is adapting our schedule to fit what he is able to do (which, until today, was pretty much just lay on the couch).
I love that I don't have to feel guilty and figure out my priorities. We don't have a lot of money and we struggle from time-to-time, but so what? At the end of the day, my son knows that no matter what Mommy will come running, Mommy will fix his boo-boos, and Mommy has the cuddles when he doesn't feel well. It's easy to make myself think I'm not "doing" anything when I stay at home. But it's times like these when I realize how important my role really is to our family, and it makes me feel good that I can do it (and that, most days, I LOVE doing it).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment