Thursday, November 12, 2009

Driving in Helena

I spent 5 years in Las Vegas. I have spent weekends in Los Angeles and Phoenix. I have seen bad drivers. Or so I thought. I think Helena, Montana drivers might be the worst group of drivers I have experienced.

As an example, on my way to work today (it was snowing, too, by the way) I was cruising along at the speed limit with a safe distance between myself and the driver ahead of me. The van behind me was also keeping his distance, which I appreciated. The truck behind the van, however, decided he was in much too big of a hurry to be traveling at the speed limit and sped past the van and myself--and then CUT into the space I had between the car ahead of me causing me to slam on my brakes. So, to all you Helena drivers--that space between me and the next car? It is not there to piss you off, nor is it there for you to squeeze into. It is there so that I don't have to worry about slamming into the car in front of me if he feels the sudden need to stop! And seriously...we were seconds away from the RED LIGHT. So congratulations...you beat me to the red light by a mere two seconds. Way to go.

Also, I drive a stick shift. If I don't slam on my gas the instant the light turns green, do not honk at me. I am shifting. I will go when I'm good and ready. Waiting an extra 2.5 seconds for me to shift is not going to make you late. And if it will, leave a little earlier tomorrow.

Uncontrolled intersections--YIELD to the person on your RIGHT. The person on the RIGHT has the RIGHT OF WAY. Do not just barrel through with no regard to other people approaching the intersection, and also don't stop and sit there all confused when the person on your LEFT does the same thing.

Yield signs--similar to uncontrolled intersections. If you have a Yield sign, Yield. Please don't make me slam on the brakes in fear for my life because you've decided I deserve the Yield instead.

Tailgating--please don't do that to me. You might think that tailgating me and waving your hands around will make me go faster. You would be wrong. I will probably slow down a little. The same goes for you people that weave through traffic (those red light racers). If I catch you doing it in my rear-view mirrow, I will probably maintain speed with the car next to me. I really don't appreciate being pushed around by people who think their time is more valuable than mine.

As a note--when I play my little slow down and line up games, I don't go below the speed limit. I'm not that big of a jerk. ;)

No comments: